WM EarthCare Florida
Compost Use Guidelines
Established lawns and turf:
- Evenly spread 1/4″ to 1/2″ of compost/year (0.75 to 1.5 cy per 1,000 sq. feet) to established lawns.
- Rake smooth and water as needed.
New lawns and turf:
- Evenly apply a 1″-2″ layer of compost to the soil (3 to 6 cubic yards per 1,000 sq. feet).
- Incorporate/blend compost into the top 6”- 8” of soil with a rototiller, disc or similar equipment.
- Rake to smooth the soil.
- Apply seed, sprigs or sod as recommended for the species. Fertilize and water as required.
Flower & vegetable garden planting instructions:
- Spread and incorporate a 1” to 2” layer of compost as per instructions for new lawns and turf above.
- Place potted plants, seeds or seedlings to a depth according to manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Fertilize and water according to the needs of the plant.
Tree and shrub planting instructions:
- Select an appropriate location for the tree/shrub and dig a planting hole slightly shallower and at least twice as wide as the root ball.
- Mix one part (by volume) of compost with 2-3 parts by volume of native soil from the planting hole.
- Place the tree or shrub in the planting hole on firm soil in the planting hole with the top of the root ball slightly higher than the final grade.
- Apply the compost amended soil around the root ball. Lightly compact the soil/compost mixture as it is placed in the planting hole.
- Water according to the needs of the tree/shrub species.
Application Rate: Compost should not be applied at a rate that exceeds the crop or plant nutrient needs. Product Storage (over 1 ton): If the compost cannot be used within seven days of receipt, the compost must be properly stored to prevent runoff of compost or stormwater that has come into contact with the compost. If compost is to be stored for more than seven days, the compost must be placed under roof, tarped, or placed in an area that prevents runoff or treats runoff water that comes in contact with the compost. No person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the discharge of air pollutants which cause or contribute to an objectionable odor.
This compost has been sampled and tested and meets all Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and Florida Department of Environmental Quality standards and requirements for distribution and sale. Recent product analysis available on request. All products are sold as-is, where is and without warranty or representation either express or implied with regard to suitability of products for any particular use.